In terms of both safety and consumer appeal, it would be difficult to exaggerate the importance of food package design. Quality cannot be neglected in packaging design for any brand that wants long-term success.
So consumer packaged goods help in achieving success faster. How the product is packaged determines how efficiently it can be shipped, how easily it can be shelved by retailers, and how well they appeal to the consumers who shop at those retailers. The non-consumer-facing packaging is primarily concerned with getting products to retailers and onto store shelves efficiently.
Furthermore, food packaging designs must appeal to the senses, and appeal to the consumer’s need for convenience. And stand out in a world in which consumer attention is constantly being demanded by competing products and marketing messages.
What is food package design?
Food packaging is a packaging system specifically designed for food and represents one of the most important aspects of the processes involved in the food in the food industry.
Here the main goal of food packaging is to provide a practical means of protecting and delivering food goods at a reasonable cost while also meeting the needs and expectations of both consumers and industries.
Appealing package label design is the most commonly seen sticker on any product. These labels are an insight into the product itself and so hold very high importance for the product. Attractive product label design is the main part of the packaging of the product.
Additionally, creative and interesting product design with an appropriate look and feel is the pathway to testing and trying a new product.
Also, current trends involve as environmental impact reduction, sustainability, and shelf-life extension have gradually become among the most important aspects of designing a packaging system.
Your packaging must communicate both what your brand represents and how it will help in improving consumers’ life. The packaging tells your customers why your brand is better, and there are cases where packaging says the equivalent of perhaps thousands of words with the absolute minimum of text.
Types of food packaging:
Food Packaging is necessary for protecting contents from contamination, damage, and tampering. It serves to determine portion sizes and display product information. Because the packaging needs for various types of food products, many kinds of food packaging materials are available, including:
- Aseptic processing
- Flexible packaging
1. Aseptic processing: – It is a process wherein commercially thermally sterilized liquid products are packaged into previously sterilized containers under sterile conditions to produce shelf-stable products that do not need refrigeration.
It has almost completely replaced in-container sterilization of liquid foods, like milk, fruit, juices and concentrates, yogurt, cream, salad dressing, liquid egg, and ice cream mix.
There has been an increasing popularity for foods that contain small discrete particles, such as baby foods, tomato products, cottage cheese, etc.
Aseptic processing involves three primary steps:
- Thermal sterilization of the product.
- Sterilization of the packaging material.
- Conservation of sterility during packaging.
2. Bags: – It is made of thin and usually plastic material to prevent the food from coming into contact with the air and environment. Several food types can be bagged, including fruit and vegetables, and snacks.
3. Boxes: – Boxes are one of the most common types of food packaging, which is used for storage or transportation of its contents. They can be made with wood, corrugated fibreboard, or metal, making them more resistant to damage. They are commonly used for foods like frozen pizza or cereal cartons.
4. Cans: – A steel can, steel can, tin can, or can is a container for the distribution or storage of goods made of thin metal. It is used for preserving foods and protecting them from light. It is used for fruit, gravy soup, vegetables, meat, etc.
5. Cartons: – Carton is a box or container made of corrugated fibreboard, or paperboard, and can be coated with plastic or paraffin for durability against moisture.
They are available in many food packaging styles, like:
- Egg cartons: These containers have egg-shaped molds that help the egg protect during transport.
- Aseptic cartons: It has carton material designed for aseptic properties. It is used for drinks like juice and milk.
- Gable-top cartons: This carton style has gables at the top that is pinched and pulled to open. This design is popular for drinks like milk and juice.
- Folding cartons: It is being made as flat cardboard pieces to be assembled by the food manufacturer.
6. Flexible packaging: – Flexible packaging is a non-rigid package that can take on any shape, like bags it protects the contents from the environment and extends their shelf life. Bagged salad varieties are an example of flexible packaging.
7. Pallets: – It is used for large-quantity transportation of food containers. It is usually shrink-wrapped for extra security.
8. Trays: – They are flat, thick paperboard material with increased edges to put the product in a container. They work well for food like meat, drinks, and plant seeds.
9. Wrappers: – Wrappers are thin plastic packaging that protects the food from the environment. It is used for individual items such as granola bars, and candy.
Food packaging is both fundamental and pervasive. By enabling the creation and standardization of brands, it provides the opportunity to realize significant advertising, extensive distribution, and mass merchandising. Therefore, a distinction between the various type or levels of packaging needs to be made.
1. Primary packaging:-
It is also called retail packaging or consumer units. Primary packaging comes in direct contact with food products, creating the ideal headspace for them while protecting alternation.
It is responsible for the marketing aspects of food packaging. The packaging material used here is plastic trays, cardboard cartons, glass bottles, and multi-layer structures.
2. Secondary Packaging:-
It contains several primary packages in one box and is made usually out of corrugated cardboard. Thus, this level is a physical distribution carrier for the primary packages, making it easier to handle during transportation.
3. Tertiary Packaging:-
The outermost package known as tertiary packaging makes it simpler to handle, store and distribute both primary and secondary packages in bulk safely.
Additionally, providing further protection for the product, while implementing a simple way to transport large quantities of materials.
You can also check out “5 Reasons Why Package Design Matters”
If you agree or not, we all get attracted to the brightest product. Food package design plays an important role in the success of any product because it attracts the consumer more. The most creative and unique design will be bound to draw the maximum attention of consumers. It increases brand visibility, customer reach, and awareness.
Pixibit Design Studio is a leading graphic design company that provides innovative services. Pixibit Design studio is a package label Design Company in India. We take charge of your entire label design projects to launch your product. Our team of experts designs packaging labels after studying your product and analyzing the competitors to grab the attention of customers.